1) Rum can be super yummy. I've put my liver to the test this past week, slowly pickling it with Pina Coladas and Mojitos.
2) Us richer countries could learn a thing or two from the Cuban people. They work HARD! Even in the cities, everyone is busy doing something. Laziness isn't a thing there.
3) Be thankful for what you have. I'd made a trip to the dollar store before we left and stocked up on things like toothbrushes, toothpaste, tylenol, colouring books and crayons, soap etc. Driving through the city of Moron, I had 3 grown men cry and hug me over a simple tooth brush and toothpaste. Those things are simply not available to them, and when they are, they are incredibly expensive. This really resonated with Little 11. She was in tears and is still reflecting on it all.
4) Cuban music is AMAZEBALLS! I bought a CD from a band we listened to. They were so fun! Very catchy and a for sure soon to be hit on my patio next summer 😊
5) DOLPHINS! We spent 20 minutes in the water with the dolphins, and SO amazing. They are the most incredible creatures, and even seemed to know to move slower when approaching Little 4. I want to live by the ocean and have a dolphin best friend.
6) You can NEVER have enough sunscreen. Even after coating ourselves with SPF 50, several times a day, we all ended up with some very appealing burns that have now turned to equally sexy peeling flakes of skin.
7) If you ever visit Cuba and leave the resort, bring toilet paper. 😳 None of the toilets have seats, nor TP.
8) Traffic lights are a good thing. There, they drive cars from the 50s (since they ended trading with the US) and scooters, bicycles and horse and buggy. They all ram the roads at top speeds, using horns and air horns to signal passing and it's total chaos!
9) Travellers diarrhea is real. All of us made many mad dashes to the crapper. Note #7 😳
10) I missed my wifi lol. Even though I bought a card a few times, allowing me an hour online, I got maybe 20 minutes in total of actual service and the rest of the time I was getting kicked off. I enjoyed being unplugged for a bit, but I missed you all!
11) Little 4 is a chip off the old block! By the end of the trip she was heading for the swim up bar unattended and ordering herself a daquiri 😏 So proud.
12) Christmas in a foreign country was fun, but it never really FELT like Christmas. I missed my family, and the traditions.
All in all, it's good to be home, and I've got to get my ass in gear to get Reaper to you by Jan 27th! So, stay tuned!